If you provide goods and services to a consumer, in particular those with a Home Care Package, you need to make sure you are complying with the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, which includes the Australian Consumer Law. This is in addition to your responsibilities under the Aged Care Act 1997 and other relevant legislation.
There are some simple things you can do to make sure you are doing the right thing for your clients, and meeting your legal responsibilities. For example, you should:
- always give clear, honest and complete information about your service to consumers, this includes information displayed on the My Aged Care website
- give them time to make their decisions and ask for help if they need to
- avoid pressuring consumers and adopting commission-based business models which might lead to pressure selling
- make sure all the terms in your agreements are fair for all parties
- provide a clear and easy dispute resolution process, this will benefit your business in the long run.
Information is available to help providers and consumers understand their rights and responsibilities. You can find these resources on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission website.